Feb 8, 2015

Oh dear, my cellar

Since working on my beloved Bleu Lord I have a spare part backup supply in my cellar. My first Sportwagon ended there in parts, the QV, the cannon, also donated several nice pieces (although I never bothered to move the engine down the stairs). During the process of dismantling the blue one, I stocked the parts in my cellar. When it came to refitting, I looked for the best part I had in stock and fitted it.
So my cellar was my backup supply for major parts. My backup for the minor parts is a glass jar in my garage for the plastic parts, and a wooden box for the metal pieces. Both containers sitting on my workbench. Right under my eyes. My first reaction when looking for little bits is to grab in one of these two.
Sometimes I wasn't able to get the proper parts or they were just broken, because of the wear and tear on these 33's. Then I looked for substitutes via second hand parts or just ordered new parts when it concerned normal wear (tires, belts, clutch, brakepads etc.). Some small bits are almost always available via the three sources. My forsight sometimes gets me parts I'd imagine to use in the future.

So, why couldn't I get the small clambs in my last post? Simple. I didn't look properly. In fact, I didn't look at all. Shame on me! The little clambs were waiting on me in the wooden box. If they could talk, they'd ban me out of the DIY Alfa Romeo Mechanics Club, if it existed and I would've beeen a member.

So yesterday I fitted the clambs under the panel that covers the motor of the windscreen wiper. Check! Then I checked some minor things, like the alarm/ indicator light on the righthand rear side. A failing connection caused a mallfunction. I also bleeded the brakes and the clutch again, the pedal stays spongy though.

The clambs I was looking for desperately, just lay in my own spare parts box, 
right under my very own nose.... (sic!)


Fitting was an easy job



Jar and box on my workbench

Extra jars on the shelve. Maybe I print this photo and hang it on the dashboard.



No comments: