Jul 16, 2014

Progress with the brakes, delay with the engine

Hi folks. Since visiting the Yountimer Event my inspiration to fiddle about on my Blue Lord is rising. The frontbrakes are revised, new rubbers, and mounting them under the car. Check
The rusty froststopfen  removed and mounted new ones. Check.
Cooling water filled, Check
Engine ready.... No!

There was a whole as big as my right fist in anger, in the right cast iron part of the boxer block. While filling the water on the upside, the water flushed that quick away, that there had to be something wrong. Merde! My right and left fist were ready to punch more wholes in the complete car.
I bought this little boxer in 2006, already. Since then I worked hours and hours to make it ready for driving. The !±@#@!%$ Flemish seller, he must have known it, so eager as he was to even deliver it at my home all the way from Antwerwp (+200 km).
The engine had run, last year or even the year before, but only small distances in my cul-de-sac-street. No colling needed, so no suspicion.

Now I found a waterfall under my car.

Froststopfen, chalky and removed

My mounting kit for mounting the new froststopfen

Open cooling bay, new stopfen below


Two newly installed stopfen, oil bay not very neat

And then I notice the whole in my engine, !@#@!#%@

The two parts of the engine wall that came out

Happily I had a spare engine, the QV-block from my black Tulipwoodracer. That car I bought in Brussels, but with no pain. The block has run over 200.000 km, but it's sound and healthy. 

So my plan to ride the 1.3S engine first and swap the engine later has violently changed over a weekend. I already cleaned it, now the distribution is due. Since the engine is still sitting in my garage and not in any obsolete car, this job will be an easy one. And since my summer holiday is due in a fortnight also, I'm a lucky guy. The blue Lord will be running this year. 

 Dirty greasy engine sitting in my garage for several years.

Gearbox

 Upper side cleaned with Wibra's wonder treatment Dasty

 Backside

Upperside. Neat little engine, isn't it?


One advantage, a proper engine in the Blue Lord. Now my brakes need upgrading to heavier calipers and ventilated discs. Happily one pair of such is resting in my cellar.



1 comment:

BMWRoellie said...

Ha Thei,

Het is zwaar balen dat je er na zoveel inspanningen achter moet komen dat het originele blok nog meer schade heeft..(vorstschade?)

Ongelofelijk... nieuwe radiateur, nieuwe doppen, remmen in orde en dan kom je dààrachter!

Ik kan niets anders zeggen dan hou vol... #klopt op de schouder#

Mocht je overigens een garagetakel nodig hebben om de motor eruit te halen. Die heb ik wel te leen, inclusief evenaar. Is inklapbaar, dus die past misschien nog wel in de Punto.

Normaal gesproken heb ik ook een motorboksteun (daar kun je de motor in hangen en dan kun je deze alle kanten op draaien) maar daar heb ik zelf al een blok in hangen... (met een beetje geluk is deze er binnenkort wel vanaf)

Dat 1.7 blok ziet er trouwens stoer uit met die 2 Webers. Zijn alle pakkingen nog in orde?


groeten,

Roel