May 31, 2014

Wie bitte?

Today I learned why the engine is leaking water. The core plugs , or in good German 'Froststopfen' were corroded, or even missing. Thanks to Bert Kanters' journals on the Alfa Romeo forum SCARB I leared that these plugs have to be installed for closing the cool water circuit. In fact they must be installed to give way for when the coolant is frozen. So the engineblock will not be damaged.

Happily my old 1.7 QV block is still sitting in my garage, so the comparsion of the both undersides of the engine was easily done. One with core plugs and loads of oil, no corrosoin. One without both: no oil, no plug.

Interesting, isn't it?


 The 1700 ccm block covered in oil but with all the Froststopfen in place and 'clean'.

Happily I never put away this engine. some day I'll revise it. 
Or let someone who's capable to do it, revise is

Core plug missing, block, engine bay and spaghetti exhaust manifold fully covered in rust.

On the other side of the engine one plug is leaking.

A clean boxerengine underside with installed core plugs (this was Berts block in progress)


So, replacement is due. Now I'll have to contact my main man in Old Bayerland again. Today he mailed he'd become some front disc brake caliper rubbers. 

Domtidom, making progress. This summer I'll be driving the Blue Lord...

I guess Pip will be happy she can be driven in proper wheels. Her two wheel motoring days will be over then. 

Pip's two wheel driven transportation for the holidays.

Did I mention the Fiat we bought...? Oops, we've sold the 146 while it was getting too expensive in fuel consumption and taxes. Now we're driving a 20 years old Fiat Punto 60 bhp. It's a very practical and handsome little cruiser. Pip likes it and all family members like it.

60 bhp, 1,2 ltr engine, 800 kgs, 4 door small salooncar.
Italian genes, sporty and good design. Cheap driving, simple engineering.





No comments: