May 8, 2014

The trick

Somehow I can't manage to make some progress on the subframe on the front of my Blue Lord. At least het coil bushings are changed in the front. This was a tricky work, because at first the bushings wouldn't come out of the wheel branch. On the internet I found some instruction videos of guys who countered the same problem. It's actually a trich with some pipes and the right daimater, plus a decent pushing instrument. I used the vise I got from my father.

Secondly the new didn't fit as they came out of the box. Some mailing to and fro with my "main man from Bosman" Ed Borghout, and I got this trick too.
There has some flining to be done before the bushings can be fitted in the lower front wheel branch.  With the old bushings pushed out with a cutted pipe of the right diameter (this pipe has to push the outer edge of the bushing, and fit in the braches hole), a vise, an old bushing and a plate (in this case I used an old grinding wheel): job done. Is is actually quit easy, once you get the trick.

The lower wheel branch with the empty hole of the pushed out coil bushing

Filing the new bushing in the right diameter. This takes exact proceeding, too wide
and the bushing will be pushed wrong, too narrow, and it will be too loose

Fiiling and filing, exercising my patience


The hew bushing (all white) is pushed into the brache with the old one an my father's vise

The new bushing is in place now. Look for a plate or in my case a grinding wheel
(it's the hole in the plate that's important) to hold the old bushing on this side in place

Job done...

... fix it under the car!

While fixing the wheel branches I noticed the attachment rubbers were bad. Now I'm looking for new rubbers. Notice the anti roll bar from my QV is already in place. Instead of the "schicky micky" red color every youngster uses, I painted it black, since nobody ever watches under the car.

anti roll bar almost fixed in place 
Looks good, does it?

2 comments:

BMWRoellie said...

Ha Thei,

Wat een aangename verrassing! Goed om weer enige "progress" te zien bij de Blue Lord!

Tip van flip:
Om rubbers gemakkelijker te persen, kun je ze van te voren ook een tijdje in de diepvries leggen. Dan beetje vaseline erop en hopla!

Ik geef je groot gelijk dat je die stabi zwart gemaakt heb, heb ik ook gedaan. Geel/rood/blauw etc is leuk, maar dan moet je ook spiegels meenemen naar meetings toe (die je dan half onder de auto kunt schuiven).

Hoe is het verder?


groeten,

Roel

Thei Moors said...

Ha Roelie, Mooi je commentaar te lezen, wel pas nadat ik weer een nieuw bericht heb geplaatst. Maar zo werkt dat.
Het gaat goed, er is inderdaad weer progress, maar langzaam. Het zijn evenwel de laatste loodjes, hoop ik. Misschien al van de zomer rijden.... ?
Ik probeer het in ieder geval. Het sleutelen is voor mij ook therapeutisch, gezien de beslommeringen op het werk. Tegenwoordig kom ik op maandag en dinsdag bij jou thuis langs, op de fiets naar Echt.
Hoe gaan de Beamers nog?
Thei