Aug 22, 2012

Subframe analysis

Well, the subframe bar is as good as ready to be mounted. The time to get the bumpers painted I use to make an inventory of the car's state. A State of the Lord, so to speak. Object of this inventory is  the rest of the subframe, under the engine, in fornt of the Blue Lord. Today I took some pictures and stitched them together to see how the situation is, down under. Well, at first glance it seems to be worse than it actually is.
The brown colour is probably rust water emission of a leaking radiator, from the time when the car was still running. I must admit, I never drove the car, it isn't even registerd in the Dutch vehicle register, because it's an import from Belgium. As I was told by the former owner, a mehanic, he repaired the car he bought from an older man. The mechanic worked with classic Fiats, Alfa's and Lancia's in a grarage in Antwerp. The engine runs smoothly and there is some evidence of major maintenace activities on the left and right cylinder heads. I figure the mechanic fixed the radiator leak too, because the distribution caps are clean, free form the brown emission. Well, I don't know for sure, so I'll have to do some more analyses.
When taking up the subframe I'll have to clean the engine bay and the engine. And mount a fresh radiator. Maybe this will be the first job to do, even before the bumpers. Because of the good weather, the car is now outside my garage, on the driveway. For taking up the subframe it'll have to move inside.

We'll see.



Frog's eye perspective of the frontside of the car, subframe bar above, spaghetti exhaust manifolds left and right, on the outer sides, the subframe arms to the wheels. Center piece is the engine oil sump. In hte background my 146.

The radiator is not the best item on the car.

Rust on the lower side could be the cause of the brown emission on the lower engine parts. But there's no emission on the lower side of the car's frame.

No comments: