Jan 21, 2018

Shocks 33

During our autumn trips in the King Bleu, we noticed the rear axle was very lively. Not pleasant when sitting in the back and driving over trafic bumps. During the Christmas holidays I did a short visit to my Vakgarage /Alfa Romeo dealer just to ask what it could be.
Their main mechanic Jan grabbed the keys and asked wether I'd go for a ride with him. This man was the guy I asked in 2007 wether he was able to weld my sills and rusty spots on this particular car, the King Blue. We did not come to an agreement, but that was okay then, for both parties.
So driving along in a fierce style, revving the boxer, Jan tried to look for trafic bumps and wholes in the road. After we had a rough ride, for testing purposes very appropriate, Jan put the car on the bridge in the workshop. His conclusion was a rear left worn shock absorber. He advised to replace them both in the rear.
I asked to make me an offer for this parts or for the complete job of replacing the two shock absorbers.

I already looked for a pair on the interweb, but couldn't find any. The ones I found were extraordinary expensive. Creemers called me the other day for the job and offered to do it for 440 euros. "Only in case" the recptionist remarked "the parts fitted can be removed easily" . Damned, I overhauled the complete axle in 2012, everything, except the absorbers, is new!
So that's a lot of money for this old 33. So I got back in the interweb surf position. The original Alfa's had fitted Monreo shocks, number E5032, but they are not available anymore.  Finally I found a set of new Boge-Sachs Nr. 312 057 shocks in Austria, for a very reasonable price of 54 euros, for the pair including shipping. Order has been made already.


The set up of the rear suspension of the 33 is quite simple. 
Just mind the good tightening moments and the good setting up of the car.


So this will be a nice job for me in the next weeks. Hope temperatures will not drop again...


After posting this, our dog Pip awoke.


No comments: