Jan 6, 2017

FIAT adventures

In this place I sometimes mentioned the Fiat Punto we also use. In fact, we drive the 1994 Punto 60S as a daily driver. We bought it back in january 2014. Our Alfa 146 turned out to be a costly adventure, so we got rid of it. The Fiat came instead. Eventually for one year, but it still runs. And runs and runs...
Until last month. Marianne had gone shopping with it - it seems to be ideal fo shopping this little Fiat - but it broke down with a strange reason. I suddenly stoppe delivering power, but didn't stall. 
When I arrived at the place they've stranded and started the car, it ran. So Marianne drove home. After 1 km it broke down again. Out of precaution I towed the Punto home with the Bleu King.
At home there wasn't an obvious cause of the problem. My senses told me ithe problem had to be an electrical, but I couldn't point my finger on it. It als could be the ignition, but it's na computerizes car, so for me this was not reparable.
The interweb FIAT forum did not make me any smarter: CPU damaged, coiles (bobine) damaged and other strange reasons. While the dashboard stated an injection issue....?

This went on a few weeks with some disturbances once or twice. Until yesterday. We wanted to go for another Alfa 146, an 1.8 TS and were happy we could drive the Fiat to the dealer. Just after we passed the longest land tunnel in our country (no safety lanes) the Fiat decided to stop delivering power. We were driving 120 kms per hour and only by running the car out, we reached an exit and parked on the safety lane.



We decided to call the ANWB Road Assistance (Wgenwacht), we are actually a member since 1989: Platimum membership! Well after a short while,  the mechanic arrived and opend the bonnet. After starting the car he needed no 5 minutes to determine what the problem was; there was a broken cable to the camshaftsensor, in front of the engine, next to the oilfilter!
I don't now what a camshaftsensor is, and at that moment I couldn't figure out what it's purpose was, but with a new cable for € 46 (got it at M&R's in Echt), the Fiat is out of trouble.

Haha.





 Happy drivers in a Punto




No comments: