Aug 4, 2016

Holiday is here again

Wow, what a machine it is, this Blue King. Yesterday was my last day at work before my holidays and it was a good day to test the blue one. Although the weather wasn't very good, King Blue went like a cannonball.
The only trouble I met was the tachometre that still keeps spinning. From the cold start to let's say the first 15 minutes it keep revolving. After that it works fine. Well, I figure from 80 to 140 kmh in about (I guess :-)) 5 seconds... ?  Yeah, that's very fine! And that deep growl from 2500 rpm to a great screaming at 6500 'giri', I love it.
It turns out to be a lazy shifter in the city when driving in third gear it's almost an automatic gearboxed car.

Driving the Sportwagon is somewhat different from driving a modern car. First there is the immense power on the front wheels. At work I showed my collegeas the finishd project and with five people we stepped in the car to protect us for the rain. I demonstrated the proper functions on the parking deck of my office and the wheels kept spinning in the wet. The nervousness of this engine is better not underestematet. This I was forgotten about the Tulipwoodracer, my first 33 Quadrifoglio Verde, the car that spent the motor for the Blue King.

(Although a Jaguar slogan, it fits the Blue King)

The first drive, this time to the inspection (APK)

The cat monument in Maasniel is smiling at me...


 At Creemers' Vakgarage in Roermond. 
Encounter of a nuovo Giulia and a Brik bike, both cardan driven

On my way to the train station in bad weather, but with a big smile.

First flight to Maastricht.

Still smiling

Even Pip won't let the Alfa out of her sight.

Our aim is to take the car to Normandie, next month. That'll be the ultimate test of my 'Project SW' that started 10 years ago in Antwerp with this car below. 
People asked me what I've done on the car. Thinking about it, it struck me that almost everything on the car was done, except the paint. I did some welding work (didn't do it myself), I changed the interior (new second hand seats, cleaned the roof lining, changed the windows, put in the leather steering wheel of the QV, changed the gear lever knob of my first SW) I changed the petrol lines and the brake lines, fitted a new master brake cilinder, redid the brakes and changed the front calipers and put on ventilated discs of a 16V. I derusted the subframe, the front and rear axles and suspension. Minor works on the window cleaning installation, front and rear, redid the wheels (several times for several cars), put in an new battery and put on some new tires (Pirelli Cinturato 5 Verde). 
Meanwhile I derusted, cleaned, tested (changed), resprayed, and greased everything I got a hold of, refitted new front and rear lights, checked and derusted the electrical installation in parts. 
Oh, I put in the QV 1712 ccm engine with a new clutch and new timing belts. cleaned and checked everything as much as possible.
For the Punto I made a full calculation on the costs of the car, even per km. For this project I did not keep up the costs or even the time I spent in the garage. That would be nonsense. Firstly because I started this project as a budget restauration, only essential parts are sold new, less essential parts are reused  as much as possible and safe. Secondly, this is and will be my hobby, "dat mag wat kosten" we use to say in our country. And I'm content with it, my family is and even our dog is.

What's next? I had some thoughts (here, and here and here) about new projects, but the wife has other thoughts :-}. The next summer our Blue King will be timespender number one. Then we'll see.
Have a nice summer.




No comments: