Aug 10, 2012

Steering wheel, another QV adaption

While waiting for my paint and Brunox, I wanted to install another steering wheel, in my cellar I had the leather version of my old QV. The mounted wheel in the Blue Lord is a standard plastic one, and when disassembling it I noticed a disrupted attachement. While turning the wheel I noticed a flaw in the circular movement.

Standard wheel of type 2 Alfa 33.

The disrupted inner attachement life of the standard wheel mounted in my car. 
I hope it isn't caused by a crash...? With a hammer  I tried to disassemble the wheel from the steering axis. You can see some damage already from my hammering on the round whole in the lower left part of the picture.

While disrupted, I couldn't install the steering wheel pullers rods.

With some effort I maneged to install one rod, slightly. 
Not enough to get some traction on the puller.

One option: cutting the upper part of the wheel off the lower part, to clear the way for the puller rods. 
The wheel was disrupted anyway.

Tomorrow I'll pull out the lower part of the attachement, and install the leather wheel.

No comments: